Kirkland Bicycle Accident Attorney
Bicycles are a legitimate form of transportation. There are many benefits to people and the planet that come from choosing to pedal to your destination. However, many times bicyclists must share the road with larger, heavier, and faster motor vehicles.
The same general rules apply to both bicyclists and motorists on the roads. But because cyclists are so much more vulnerable in accidents, other motorists must lookout for bicycles and proceed more cautiously when bikers are in the area.
When an accident occurs between a bicycle and a car the injuries to the cyclist can be severe, resulting in permanent damage. The Kirkland bicycle accident attorney at Law Offices of Joseph Rome represents bicyclists who are seriously injured when hit by other motorists.
Bicycles on Washington Roads
Washington is a bike-friendly state and offers many opportunities to travel by bicycle. Washington also makes it easy to link bicycling to other forms of transportation.
As an alternative to driving a car, bicycling as transportation provides many benefits.
- bicycles cost less to operate
- bicycles don’t create pollution
- bicycles are easier to park
- bicycles may actually get you there faster
- bicycles provide exercise
- bicycles don’t damage roadways
When Bicycle Accidents Occur
When motorists collide with bicycles it is usually for one of the following reasons.
- The driver does not allow the cyclist enough space on the road.
- The driver is not aware and does not see the bicycle.
- The driver is distracted from driving by trying to do something else.
And though not excusable, some bicycle accidents occur because drivers are not aware of cyclists’ rights on the road. Bicyclists on Washington roads are allowed to:
- treat stop signs as yield signs when there is no oncoming traffic
- use the main lane of traffic even if there is a designated bike lane
- have the right of way against oncoming vehicles trying to pass
How to Recover for Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
In Washington, bicycle fatality accidents have been trending upward over the last 15 years. The most serious injuries in bicycle/car accidents occur on roadways where the speed is in excess of 30 mph.
When you have suffered significant injuries in a bicycle accident you want to be careful dealing with the other driver’s insurance company. Because most insurance companies will attempt to minimize both their responsibility and your injuries, you must make sure to have all the information you need to clearly establish their driver’s fault and the extent of your damage as a result.
At the Law Offices of Joseph Rome, we investigate the circumstances of your bicycle accident and put together a comprehensive claim detailing how you have been affected by your injuries. Our Kirkland bicycle accident lawyer works relentlessly to secure the maximum compensation you deserve.